Cleanliness, in the simplest terms, is the state of being free from clutter and anything irrelevant and unnecessary, and the maintenance and sustenance of this state. It is one of the fundamental factors that distinguish a progressive, cultured and civilized society from an underdeveloped and uncivilized commune. Cleanliness is an important phenomenon that is not just confined to personal hygiene, but covers all aspects of our daily lives. From personal appearances to our household, environment and workplaces, the state of cleanliness of our self and surrounding portrays a good illustration of our individual as well as collective habits.
Cleanliness is important, for it builds up a healthy environment that facilitates physical and mental well being and growth. Therefore, its individual as well as collective importance cannot be denied. Cleaning the environment is the key to existence and survival of life on planet earth. Maintaining a clean environment reduces pollution, preserves our biosphere, protects endangered species, and also helps preserve the earth’s natural resources. In society, the state of cleanliness of a society represents the mindset.
In the organizational perspective, a clean and tidy workplace portrays a healthier, competitive, growing and flourishing business in contrast to a workplace with overflowing bins, crammed drawers, piled up desks and all things cluttered. Cleaning at workplace is crucial for many reasons. Some fringe benefits of cleanliness are described as follows:
- First and foremost, a clean, tidy and organized workplace environment casts a positive impression on the customers. They are more likely to have a satisfying experience and will take a good image of the organization back home.
- It determines the quality of workforce and their level of dedication and commitment to the place where they spend around 7 to 8 hours a day, five days a week. Apparently, the workplace is like your second home and therefore, it depicts a great deal about you and your organization too.
- Workplaces are populous places; hence they are hotbeds of dirt, germs and bacteria. Regular cleaning of work stations, keeping them clear of redundant objects prevents slips, trips and injuries.
- A clean and organized organizational culture improves employee efficiency and productivity.
- It reduces the chances of hazards and emergencies. Regularly cleaning and maintaining a workplace keeps everything in order, troubleshoots in case of malfunctions and therefore, reduces the risk of unforeseen hazards.
- Cleanliness boosts mental health and keeps the mind fresh and working. An untidy environment makes its inhabitants fatigued and lethargic, whereas a well kempt and organized workplace helps build a competitive and progressive culture.
- Fumigating the offices and public places prevents the chance of infections and allergies. This is necessary because there’s a continuous flow of people, and therefore, they are prone to catching viral and epidemic diseases.
Cleanliness, be it personal, social or organizational, is not a matter of choice but an obligation. It is essential to incorporate necessary measures to ensure that environment stays in its natural state, devoid of any perilous influence that may alter its smooth operations or endanger its inhabitants.